Rainbow Cake Jars
A fun and easy recipe for these rainbow cakes in a jar with “cloud” frosting perfect to serve at birthday parties! This recipe should yield 8-10 cake jars.
1½ sticks unsalted butter
1½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2½ cups flour
1¼ cups milk
Neon food coloring
8-10 ½ pint mason jars
For the frosting:
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup boiling water
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
3 unbeaten egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Unscrew the tops of the jars and spray the inside with non-stick cooking spray then set them aside.
- Put butter in mixer and beat at medium speed until somewhat smooth.
- Pour in sugar and beat well.
- Add 2 eggs and mix well.
- Add vanilla, baking powder, salt, flour, and milk then beat until is mixed.
- Divide your batter into six separate bowls.
- Tint your batter the colors of the rainbow- Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, & Purple.
- Using a small spoon, carefully spoon in each color of batter into layers or use a Ziploc bag and cut the tip off one corner of the bag to pipe each layer into the jars.
- Place jars in a 9×13? baking pan (with rim) and fill with a ½ cup of water to create a water bath for your cakes.
- Bake for 25-40 minutes or until your cake springs back and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and begin preparing your “cloud” frosting:
- Mix sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla and egg whites together in a mixer bowl. Add boiling water. Beat on high until the mixture forms peaks, which should be just about seven minutes. Spoon frosting on top of the cakes and finish with Rainbow Sprinkles.